Banner Logo
History of the hall 1900

History Of The Hall

Kelbrook and Sough Village Hall started life as a very small school, which was built with funds from public subscription in the 18th century but superseded when the county council school was built over 100 years ago. In the early part of the 20th Century it became an educational trust administered by the nearby St. Mary’ Parish Church. In that period 2 extensions to the building were added. It became known as St Mary’s Sunday school.

Older villagers recollect the building being a hive of activity in the 1930’s – 40s with a great many social events being held primarily organised by the Church. However, its use subsequently declined as the pattern of village life changed and by the late 60s the Hall was used very little and a volunteer village committee was formed to rescue the hall in 1977.

Over the next 25 years events were held to raise money, work was done and the building was brought to a decent standard with the Kelbrook Parish Hall Committee raising and spending approximately £45,000 on maintenance and refurbishment. Additionally local firms and individuals gave generously of their time and products.

The Parish Hall Committee was neither leaseholders nor owners of the building due to the complexities of the original Trust Deed and was never able to access large grants. Although it has to be said that Pendle Borough Council recognising that the hall was “de facto” a village hall generously paid for the installation of central heating and supplied kitchen units.

It became known as Kelbrook Parish Hall and once again thrived as a centre of community activity. Kelbrook Parish Hall continued to be managed by a committee, which was independent of the church although the Church remained the owner of the building. In 1997 the Parish Hall Committee (PHC) obtained charitable status (Charity No. 1064580).

In March 2002 the Diocese of Bradford finally agreed to sell the hall to the community and with the help of Community Futures through the Enterprising Rural Communities Programme Kelbrook Parish Hall became Kelbrook and Sough Village Hall, a facility held in trust for the benefit of the community and available to all with a new charity number (1101005).

In March 2006 Kelbrook and Sough Village Hall Committee successfully completed the construction of a car park and Annex to the rear of the hall to enhance this Community Resource Centre.

In March 2010, funding and donations were received for refurbishment of the stone slate roof on the oldest part of the hall.

Funding was received for a new easily assemmbled stage. Recently a new suspended ceiling, extra insulation, lights and decorating has been completed in the main hall.

Kelbrook and Sough Village Hall is not a council facility and receives no direct funding but is run by members of the community on behalf of the people of Kelbrook and Sough. Please support your village hall.

The Hall 1840
History of the Hall 1840 © by kind permission of Victor Laycock

The Hall 1883
History of the Hall 1883 © by kind permission of Victor Laycock

The Hall 1900
History of the Hall 1900 © by kind permission of Victor Laycock

The Hall 2005
History of the Hall 2005 © by kind permission of Victor Laycock

To book the hall call 01282 843954.
Registered Charity No. 1101005

©Kelbrook Village Hall 2008. All images on this page ©Victor Laycock, by kind permission.
Website Design & Hosting by duperouzel.com